From Falafel to Full-on Fusion
From Falafel to Full-on Fusion: In conversation with Chef Michael Solomonov
Beth Am Israel’s Annual Fundraiser
Saturday Night, March 7, doors open at 7:00 PM
Michael Solomonov, co-creator of Zahav, the landmark Philadelphia restaurant and 2019 James Beard Outstanding Restaurant Award winner, dishes on topics including:
- His Israeli roots, remarkable personal journey and future plans.
- How he manages an evolving restaurant empire – even featuring donuts!
- How Israeli cuisine mirrors the diversity of Jewish culture and experience.
- Where to find Israel’s best eateries on your next visit.
This evening will include tastings of hummus varieties straight from Dizengoff recipes, gourmet desserts and Israeli music. Raffles of restaurant gift certificates, signed merchandise, a book signing and more. Purchase your tickets below, for an evening you will not want to miss!
All the Details
Click on the “plus” button to open the answer. Click on the “minus” to close it and read the next.
Chef Michael Solomonov is the Executive Chef/Co-Owner at Zahav, the 2019 James Beard Foundation’s Outstanding Restaurant, a modern Israeli restaurant that brings the authentic flavors of Israel’s culture to Philadelphia. He is known for his extraordinary skill at transforming simple foods into artful culinary masterpieces and is widely regarded as one of the country’s top chefs and entrepreneurs. In addition to his duties at Zahav, Chef Solomonov is a partner in Federal Donuts, Dizengoff, Goldie, and Abe Fisher.
He has been widely featured and recognized for his many accomplishments, on television and in print, including: The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The TODAY Show, Nightline, Good Morning America, ABC’s The Chew, The Toronto Star, LA Times, Bon Appétit, Food & Wine, Esquire, Condé Nast Traveler, Travel + Leisure, and Men’s Health.
In 2017, Solomonov and the Israel Ministry of Tourism (IMOT) created a partnership to champion Israel’s extraordinarily diverse and vibrant culinary landscape. Along similar lines, Solomonov starred in the documentary feature film, “In Search of Israeli Cuisine,” which explores Israel’s culturally diverse
culinary landscape. The film is now streaming on Netflix.
Before opening Zahav, Chef Solomonov was the Executive Chef at Marigold Kitchen which he and business partner Steven Cook co- owned until 2009. Born in Israel and raised in Pittsburgh, Solomonov frequently travels back to Israel. He is also an avid snowboarder, surfer, and overall fitness fanatic.
6:00 – Dinner for Sponsors
7:00 – Havdallah and Pre-show nosh for all
7:45 – Interview with Michael, followed by Q&A with audience
9:30 – Dessert Reception and book signing
Tickets will go on sale beginning January 2020. Please note, these are only General Admission tickets, and do note include raffle prizes or dinner.
- $90 per ticket beforehand
- $100 at the door
See our sponsorship levels below.
- Zahav- $200 Gift Certificate for Zahav; signed cookbook; spice package; apron; olive oil set
- Cook n Solo Sampler #1- K’far ($25), Disengoff ($75) and Abe Fisher ($100) Gift Certificates
- Cook n Solo Sampler #2- Federal Donuts ($25) and Zahav ($200) Gift Certificates
- Dizzy for Dizengoff’s- $100 Gift Certificate; spice pack; hat and signed bag, olive oil set
- Museum Tour- Membership Plus Gift Membership to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, along with a private tour of the museum.
- Movie Date Night- 2 tickets to the Sixers, with parking; signed copy of “Smart Baseball: The Story Behind the Old Stats that are Ruining the Game, the New Ones that are Running it, and the Right Way to Think About Baseball” by Keith Law
- The Worst Case Scenario- Signed copy of the bestseller; 2 complimentary passes to the Exhibit at the Franklin Institute; Worst Case Scenario board game.
We appreciate your potential interest in sponsoring our annual community fundraiser. Your support of our synagogue will help us carry out our community-building mission, strengthen our security systems, sustain our educational programming and support our caring communities.
- Zahav – $5,000: includes a full size digital ad; 8 tickets to the show as well as a private, pre-show Israeli Soul inspired dinner; a signed copy of the Zahav Cookbook and 8 raffle 6-packs.
- Abe Fisher – $2,500: includes a full size digital ad; 6 tickets to the show and pre-show dinner, a signed copy of Israeli Soul Cookbook and 6 raffle 6-packs.
- Dizengoff – $1,800: includes a half size digital ad; 4 tickets to the show and pre-show dinner, a signed copy of the “In Search of Israeli Cuisine” DVD and 4 raffle 6-packs.
- Federal Donuts – $800: includes a half size digital ad; 2 tickets to the show and pre-show dinner, a gift certificate to Federal Donuts and 2 raffle 6-packs.
- Goldie – $360: includes a one-quarter size digital ad; 2 tickets to the show, a gift certificate to Goldies and 2 raffle 6-packs. Please note that this sponsor level does not include the pre-show dinner.
Can’t join us for the show? Please consider a digital ad:
- $1,000 – full slide digital ad displayed throughout the evening and posted on our website with a link to your business
- $500 – half slide digital ad displayed throughout the evening and posted on our website
- $100 – quarter slide digital ad displayed throughout the evening and posted on our website.
Come as you are – as dressy or as casual as is you! We go by casual, comfortable, and fun! This is Beth Am Israel after all!